Saturday, June 11, 2016

Pedestral Earring Holder

I have been looking for a better way to hang/store my stud earrings for a while now.  They've been in a small container up until now and I was getting sick of having to dump out the entire thing to find what I'm looking for.  I remember from when I was a kid having earring holders that you could thread any kind of earring into, but all I could find at stores were things for dangle earrings.  So I decided there had to be something that I could make that would work better.

Here's what I did:
  • Purchase a plastic pedestal frame (mine was from Michael's) for $2.00.
  • Choose the acrylic paint color that I wanted it to be (paint is anywhere from $1.50 to $4.00 a bottle), with a foam brush paint the white frame.  Foam brushes work better for this so you don't get brush marks.
  • Seal your paint with a clear coat of some kind. 
  • Cut a piece of screen to the correct size, paint it a color of your choice (optional).
  • Use an exact-o knife to cut out the inside of the clear, plastic pieces that came with the holder to protect the photo.
  • Staple the 'frames' you've created with the exact-o knife to either side of the screen.  This will support the screen so that the weight of the earrings doesn't make the screen sag in the frame.
  • Put year screen into the frame and put your earrings on it.
You're done, and all that doesn't take that long.  Waiting for the paint to dry takes the most time.

No comments:

Post a Comment