Saturday, July 23, 2016

Raised Food Bowl Tray for your Pet


I have a dog that I love a lot, but she is the slobbery-est eater ever!  If you're like me and don't always have the time to clean the floor after every meal, than that slobbery drys into the grossest goo.  After dealing with this for many years, I decided to use some of the scrap wood at my house to try my hand at making a raised food try for her, maybe it would cut down on the amount of slobber and water all over my floors. 

What you need:
  • piece of plywood or whatever slightly larger than the dimensions of your food mat
  • Stair balusters or spindles
  • decorative trim of your choice
  • stain or paint of your choice
  • screws
  • Tools: power drill, saw, hammer
I found 4 balusters in my storage shed when I bought the place and finally found something to do with them, since I live in a single story house!  I used my hand saw to cut the decorative lathed portion of the baluster to use as the legs of my tray.  Once I cut them to size (which I measured against my dog) I drilled a hole for the screws.  The top piece of wood was also left over from another project, which I just had to cut down to the correct width.  I drilled holes in the corners and attached the legs to my top with screws.   I purchased a piece of decorative trim that would give me a slight lip when attached in an effort to keep spilled food on the tray and used finishing nails to attach it. 

With wood putty, I filled in the nail and screw holes.  I also found a bunch of water shield stain when I bought my house, I used a combination of 2 of the stain colors to finish off my creation.  I think it turned out pretty good, and since I had everything but the trim I spent a grand total of about $6 (with trim left over for my next project)!

No comments:

Post a Comment