Saturday, October 1, 2016

Make Your Own Dog House!



My that I have a backyard of my own, I've been wanting to make a dog house that will fit a specific spot on my back patio.  I also wanted it to have a flat roof to use for storage and a hinged lid to easy access.


With the help of some scrap 2 x 4, a 2 x 2 and 2 sheets of plywood from the hardware store I was able to make my vision a reality.  I measured the space I wanted my dog house to fit carefully and started by making a frame with my 2 x 4s.  I found a local hardware store that would deliver wood at a decent price and was able to get 2 sheets of plywood.  I started by cutting the 'floor' board, the back wall and one of the sides.  I used some spare clear wood seal on each piece as I was cutting, and screwed things together as they dried. This gave me a nice break between all the measuring, cutting, painting, and re-charged my power drill. 

After fitting the first 2 wall pieces together I came to the conclusion that  I needed a better way to screw the walls together than trying to screw into the 1/2 of the plywood.  This made me dig out the scrap 2 x 2 that I had cut that to fit each corner.  The 2nd plywood created the other 2 walls and the roof.  After determining the measurements of where I wanted the hole for the entrance, I recruited the help of my brother-in-law to actually cut the hole since I didn't have the correct tools for it.  After attaching the 4th wall in place and painted it purple using some spare black paint to paint on windows.  I purchased some adhesive linoleum tiles for the bottom (they're pretty and I think will hold some extra 'coolness' for my dog).  Once all that was done I moved the house into place, lined up the roof and attached it with my hinges.  I chose to attach black plastic to the roof to help with moisture and got some extra shingles to cover the roof.  There was a gap in the back since the hinges need room, I used some scrap 4 inches pieces of wood, painted them black then mounted them to make the 'peak' of the roof and cover the gap. 

All in all it took a couple of weekends of work since there was a lot of painting and cutting but overall was fairly simple and the end product is exactly the custom made, perfect fit that I wanted.  Not bad considering I made the design up myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment