Saturday, May 6, 2017

Review: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I 'read' the audiobook version of this book and am glad that I decided to do it this way. This was an excellent read that makes readers really think about the world around them and how their decisions can affect more than just themselves. There is so much information in here that is just really interesting...the enzymes needed to digest milk, turkey mating habits, what vegetables and plants grow when and how to harvest just about everything!

It also sort of blew my mind! I went to the grocery store after about a week of listening to this book during my weekly drives to and from work, running errands, etc. I had to literally leave the produce section without getting anything because I had new eyes about the produce sitting on the shelves. Happily I also started reading this book around the start of Farmer's Markets starting again and this helped me make my next forage into the grocery store produce section. I now take my time reading labels much more than I did before.

I had never thought about the fuel impact on bringing produce from around the world into markets everywhere. I now will. This is an eye opening book that has changed the way that I think about things. Although, there's no way I am willing to change everything based on what I learned from this book (I don't think I can give up bananas, for example), it made me more aware of my shopping decisions. Is online shopping really cheaper for example? For the individual shopper maybe but what about all the added fuel costs for delivery? I can sum up reading this book in three words:

Wow, mind blown!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment