Saturday, June 17, 2017

June Re-Readathon


I have a favorite  historical fiction romance novel that I end up going back to read over and over again.   Moonlight Mistress by Patricia Rice was published in 1999.  I came across it at a used bookstore and have now read it more times than I can count.  Set in the time of Henry II of England when England is still recovering from King Stephen and the chaos of the Robber Barons under his rule. 
Image result for moonlight mistress by patricia riceAelvina Fairfax is a peasant who has been thrust into a desperate situation that has forced her to seek assistance from Lady Ravenna, a reclusive widow.  Taking matters into her own hands Aelvina approached Sir Philippe St. Aubyn for protection against becoming indebted to Lady Ravenna.  Bargaining her maidenhead and loyalty to one man is better than being offered to many under Lady Ravenna's rule.

A soldier under King Henry II's command, Sir Philippe has been sent to take possession in the name of the king the widowed Lady Ravenna's holdings.  When he is approached by a fair-haired beauty for protection, he can't help but be tempted by her bargain.  Little did either of them know that the Lady Ravenna had her own plans for them.  Philippe and Aelvina must navigate lies, secrets, hatred, the dark arts, and King Henry II to find their happy ending. 

I really love this novel.  It's the only one of Patricia Rice's novels that I've read, but it's wonderful.  The turmoil between this couple is amazing.  I love the details of each person and their EXTREMELY rocky relationship just keeps drawing me back.  I wish it was available as a downloadable book, but not so far.  I did email the author a couple of years ago to ask about that possibility and she said there was some hope, her materials were being purchased by a new publisher and were starting to be moved to digital.  Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment